Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.edpingolphotography.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

San Francisco Ed Pingol - Bay Area Wedding Photography: California Wedding Photographer: don't box us in! article

Jul 18, 2007

don't box us in! article




wow! we keep thinking, "how did we get here?!?" we're super excited and honored to be a featured photographer in the ultra creative website "don't box us in!" started by the staff of trashthedress.com to show the "other side of wedding photography." (again, how did we get HERE, featured alongside these AWESOME photographers!?!") this new site features creative and artistic wedding photography that isn't limited or "boxed in" to just the traditional formal portraits & "must-have" lists of wedding photo coverage.

be sure to check out the rest of the featured photographers & continue to check this site out, as it'll be a great place to find more fresh wedding images.

Ed Pingol Photography - California

by "don't box us in!" 18 07 2007

This is a hectic time of year for wedding photographers and for some there’s barely a moment’s breath before the next wedding shoot. You just have to look at Ed Pingol’s schedule to see how busy he is at the moment so we’re very pleased that he was able to take some time out to provide us with some very informative replies to a few questions & has given us the opportunity to feature some of his excellent work. To view more please visit Ed’s website … and happy belated birthday Ed!

Ed & Monica

How do you keep yourself motivated & your photography fresh?

I keep myself motivated by surrounding myself with really positive people. (Seriously, I think negativity is highly contagious, though curable, fortunately by being around more positive people!) I love hanging out with new & experienced photographers alike, who are willing to share their knowledge and experience, as well as learn some new ones. I believe that this is the only way to really grow as a photographer. I have to thank Jonathan Canlas, who really has been a mentor to me & is one of the most positive, cool people I’ve ever met. My wife, Monica, motivates me. She gives me the female perspective and is very upfront about what brides want and don’t want. Like really upfront.

I try to keep things fresh by always being open to new ideas… always trying to look at objects & places through a different eye, imagining how they can be photographed. During our shoots, we always end up veering off from our destination for a few minutes when I see an awesome and at times, unconventional, location/setting. Fortunately, all of our clients have really trusted my creative instinct and have accommodated some unusual requests to get the shots. I’m also always looking through magazines, ads, commercials, movies, etc. and trying to visualize the setup and techniques used.

What (or who) has inspired, & continues to inspire, your work?

I have been influenced by the following photographers and continue to “blog-stalk” them:
-The Image Is Found
-Chris+Lynn
-Bumatay Studios
-Liana Banana
-Bobbi+Mike
-PerspectiveEye

and especially

-SHAWN STARR

It seems like each week, I find another photographer’s work I like. I am definitely inspired by the city of San Francisco. This city is “smooth” like “Butter” (pronounced “but-tah”!!! = ) As we know, this place has so many different locations to shoot and are widely recognized, so I attempt to find a way to showcase features of this city and at the same time, feature it in a different way each time we shoot. I am also inspired by the clients we work with. By getting to know them, I learn how to photograph them in a way that is truest to their nature and personality.

What do you say or do to put your clients at ease in front of the camera?

It’s kind of funny but I actually pose for them instead of instructing them of what to do. And yes, I do a great impersonation of a “hot and sexy” woman. They end up laughing at me and that puts them at ease.And I always recommend to my clients to watch the movie “Hitch” so they can get that “90% kiss” and not have puckered lips in their images.

What was it that first drew you to take up photography?

I got into photography as a graphic/packaging designer, needing to get images of products for designing and creating packaging. I realized then that photography really is “painting with light” and was really challenged to learn how to hone this skill. I happened to meet a local wedding photographer, Carl Spears, who has great knowledge of lighting and taught me the necessary basics. From there, the camera seemed to become permanently fused with my hand and I just kept researching and experimenting how to get better shots. Suddenly, it seemed like my wife and I were the most popular couple we knew, being invited to everyone’s functions. I thought I had just increased my coolness factor but really, it was the pictures they were after. That’s when we decided it was time to go pro. = )

Which photographer would you like to shoot with for a day & why?

I would love to shoot with the Image is Found. And guess what, I get to do it this August 2008 for a workshop they’re running in SF with Susan Stripling. “Hey!!” Reason being is because they provide clients with amazing images and provide you with an AWESOME experience leaving a wonderful after taste of referrals. My goal is to be able to shoot like that.





//ed pingol
707.334.1468
edpingol@gmail.com
edpingol.blogspot.com

3 Comments:

Blogger talda said...

wow look at how popular you're getting! congrats on the well-warrented expose! you're going to get a lot busier now...good thing i already laid my claim on you ;-)

though, i must admit that i have a HUGE crush on the image is found's work. man, i'd kill to have them shoot the sequel wedding. lol.

7/18/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! I've been following your blog and I knew it was just a matter of time. You guys really deserve it.

7/19/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulation Ed... You deserve it..
Image is found rocks, I am glad I signed up for Aug07 workshop and I will be able to meet you guys too... How awesome is that :) ~erwin wijanto

7/20/2007  

Post a Comment

you don't need an account to comment. so... kindly please do! =)

//ed

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home